The Perfect Mother

and other lies

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Ya Gotta Have Friends

Without sounding like a total snot, I'm the type of person who has always had a lot of friends. Ok, there's no way NOT to sound like a snot, but it's true. From the time I was able to speak (as my mom used to say) I was very social. I like lots of people, having fun and hanging out. On the other hand I tend to be a big homebody as well. I like my own space and doing things alone. Is it wierd to be both? I don't know. It doesn't feel wierd.

Anyway, I DO have a point here. When I married my husband we moved to the town he grew up in. I knew no one. He knew everyone - and I mean just about everyone. He's just that type of person. It wasn't a big deal at the time because I worked in the city that I grew up in and didn't HAVE to know anybody in my new "hometown".

When I became a stay at home mom about 18 months ago, I left my job that I'd been at for 7.5 years. It was not only a job that I had good friends at, it was a job that was a little over an hour away from where I currently live. I went from having friends (work friends as well as my girlfriends from high school that still worked and lived in the city) to no friends at all. It was quite a shock to say the least. I remember talking to my best friend and telling her how bizarre it was to actually try and make friends. I think the last time I actually had to TRY to make friends was in college. And that wasn't very hard because you're all thrown together in a dorm and friendships just kind of happen on their own in that kind of environment.

Now it's different. For the first 4 months I was home, we didn't go anywhere, I'm ashamed to say. Finally I had to bite the bullet and get us out of the house. I started taking the girls to an indoor playground and I have made some acquaintances, but nothing even approaching a friendship. I'll tell you what I want. I want all my best girlfriends to pack up their shit and move to where I live. Oh. Not gonna happen? Ok, then I want clones of my girlfriends to pack up their shit and move to where I live. Still no? Then I'll settle for a few (one?)nice mom friends who like to hang out, occasionally bitch about their crabby kids and dirty house, praise their children and husbands often, tell a few dirty jokes and drink some wine. Is that too much to ask?

3 Comments:

At 1:05 PM, Blogger Jen said...

I am SO with you! We do live close, don't we?

 
At 6:13 AM, Blogger Meredith said...

Not close enough, I'm afraid. It's three hours from where I am to where you are. Although, I am where you are a lot. (Family lives there.) :)

Could I get any more vague?! Email me - I'll lose the vagueness. (Is that a word?)

Meredith

 
At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are groups throughout the country for moms with little kids, MOPS (mothers of preschoolers), Stay at home moms groups, church groups for moms, etc. I found ours in the newspaper and by calling around and tried several. Some will be a better fit than others. God Bless You.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home