The Perfect Mother

and other lies

Friday, May 20, 2005

Unplugged

Ok. Here's the deal. I've been thinking about this for a long time. I think I'm going to turn off the TV for the summer. No, it's not because I'm some TV's-horrible-it-rots-your-brains-it's-evil-it's-the-devil-incarnate type of person. On the contrary I do LOVES me some TV. I LOVES it so much that, look at that! The laundry's not done. I LOVES it so much that, hey there! There's no eating utensils left - they're all dirty. And, more disturbingly lately - I LOVES it so much that my children can be seen zoning out in front of it while I - you guessed it - watch a DIFFERENT show, in a DIFFERENT room, on a DIFFERENT tv. Pathetic. Totally, inexcusably, pathetic.

So, on May 30th, (safetly AFTER my beloved American Idol is finished - sheesh.) the TV screen will go black. It will stay that way at least until August 30th. With the exception of: Friday night movie night (we love the whole thing - making pizza, making popcorn and picking out a movie - so much fun.) and times that we are visiting other peoples' houses. I figure I can't really be a hard ass about SOMEONE ELSE's TV, right?

I know I'm in for a revolt. For at least the first few days. I know this. I intend to be prepared. I'll be armed with outings, play doh, paints and games galore. And, of course riveting conversation at the breakfast, lunch and dinner table. My husband is going to HATE me. He'll have to get over it. Or go hide in the bedroom and watch TV. Either one.

I'm a little excited about it. Scared shitless, but excited.

4 Comments:

At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome girl!!!! I should do the same thing!!! I think I can live more without tv than the internet! :)
Have a great weekend!
Kelly

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger humble servant said...

This sounds like a fantastic idea - maybe we can start a movement... Or actually start moving. ha!!

I think I might just join you...

 
At 7:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is awesome.

Now you've got me thinkin.

Basically, we only watch a movie here and there anyways...

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger el-e-e said...

OMG, I love this idea. I will be doing this someday. Just found your blog - nice template! :) Please update us on how it goes sans TV!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home